Homemade Carpet Powder
I have 8 inside furbabies. Yes, you read that right. Eight! 4 cats & 4 dogs. Needless to say, when it comes to products that make my house smell nice – I am a fan.
Carpet powder is one product that I can’t do without. Even though it is a reasonable price, I buy so much of it that it works out to be pretty expensive. Plus, it doesn’t always work as well as I like.
Homemade carpet powder to the rescue!! It’s cheap & it has not met an odor that it doesn’t take care of.
All you need is baking soda & orange essential oil. You can use other essential oils if you like, but I like the orange because of the great clean smell that it gives off. Some readers have also suggested using cloves instead of the essential oil, and while I haven’t tried that personally – I’ve heard some great stuff about it!
It is also nice to have an empty Parmesan cheese container, or some other shaker.
Mix the baking soda & several drops of the orange essential oil (or other essential oil of your choice) together in a bowl using a whisk. Then, spoon the mixture into your shaker. OR… you can do this the lazy way like me and just put it all into your container & do the hokey pokey & shake all around…
Sprinkle onto your carpets – let it sit for about 15 minutes, then vacuum up.
Simple & thrifty – and works like a charm.
- 45+ Every Day Uses for Essential Oils (naturemoms.com)
- Homemade Cleaning Products! (raddestmom.com)
- homemade dry shampoo (instructables.com)
- Clean Green: Eco-Friendly Cleaning Products (apartmentguide.com)
- Using Essential Oils in the Laundry (earthelixir.ca)
- DIY: Make Your Own Natural Air Freshener with Essential Oils (fibronomore.wordpress.com)
- Laundry Day! Homemade Powdered Detergent. (thestartuphomestead.wordpress.com)
- Homemade Carpet Deodorizer (endlesstimeout.wordpress.com)
- Homemade Mattress Deodorizer (endlesstimeout.wordpress.com)